Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Lonely Shaker


I tried to follow Carol Marine here - didn't really do it, beyond the small format (6x8) but this is probably one of the better paintings I've done. The shaker top is a bit warped looking, but other than that it worked well. This was one of those times that I pushed through the doubt and left it alone for about a week. I came back and added just few things - the red bits of color, the shimmer in the shadow, and a few other things.

A big challenge on this painting was the silver shaker top against the black background. My brain told me that the black background was much darker than the silver top, but if I really looked I realized that, in reality, this wasn't true. This happens a lot in painting - the battle between your intellect telling you how things are supposed to be, and your eyes seeing what really is.

3 comments:

  1. Hey i appreciate your painting..
    The glass bottle looks great.. at first i felt it was a real picture..
    Work from home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog, and the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg, I wanted to thank you for the comment you left on my blog, that was really nice of you to say! Then I saw this painting of yours and I love it! It is so interesting to make paintings involving glass objects, there are so many distorted colors in there to pay attention to and I think you've executed that very well. I also love the landscape painting at the top of the page, makes me wish I was there it's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete