Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fall Morning

Back at the studio for the last two weekends. I didn't paint for over a month. Same old reason -work taking up my time and energy.

It's an all or nothing thing with me - once I start painting I don't want to stop and that means the house doesn't get cleaned, dinner doesn't get made, and the laundry piles up. Hours go by unnoticed and it is the only time my mind shuts off. It is the greatest thing ever, better than any drug, drink, mindless TV watching, or retail therapy. When I walk into my studio, or start a painting, I am so filled with calm and gratitude for this small part of my life that it helps me put the silliness of work stress in perspective.

Fall Morning
Oil on 8x8 panel
This painting is based on a photo I took of this gorgeous tree near my house. It's just another tree for most of the year, except for the one week when it hits its peak fall color.  I tried painting it before but it didn't work out very well. I'm pretty happy with this one though. I can't seem to capture the painting's vibrancy and saturation with the camera without making the contrast too harsh. This is the best version, though it flattens the shadows quite a bit and there is a bit of glare.

No comments:

Post a Comment