Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blue Table

Finally a painting. It's been a while. I was sick for a bit with bronchitis and was also struggling with my painting. I went on vacation last week and feel rejuvenated.

I was in Maine and didn't do any painting but took hundreds of photos (actually over a thousand but I deleted half after reviewing them all). My photography has really improved over the past year and I think it has to do with painting - both because I take thousands of photos now and because painting has made me more attuned to composition.

This is a painting inspired by the back patio at the cottage I stayed in. It was a sweet little cottage.

Blue Table
8x8 Oil on Canvas

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, I like the flowers and the blue quality through out the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely! Nice colors, wonderful composition, good "touch". I love Bonnard, who often did inside/outside paintings. A goal of mine. Oh, so much to paint! Glad you're back, and re-juvenated. It shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I really enjoyed working on this. I think my new canvas size is 8x8 - my most successful paintings have been that size. Maybe I will slowly creep up to 12x12 :). I'm going to go check out Bonnard now because I forget what his work was like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that 8x8 is a fabulous size. Oh -- do check out Bonnard if you don't know his work. There was a fantastic exhibit a couple of years ago at the Met, and a wonderful book. His colors are just phenomenal. His scenes quite abstract, but still recognizable. I think you would love his use of color.

    ReplyDelete